States & Territories
Australia is made up of six states and two territories with a combined population of 21 million inhabitants. The states include Australia’s first state, New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia, Western Australia and Queensland. The two territories are the Northern Territory and the Australian Capital Territory where you will find Canberra the Australian capital city.
As at the time of writing, the Labour Party (ALP) has supplied the Premier in each state of Australia. However, the Federal Government is still John Howard of the Liberal Party.
- The Hon Peter Beattie is the current Premier of Queensland since June 1998.
- Ms Clare Martin is the Chief Minister for the Northern Territory of Australia since August 2001
- Mr Jon Stanhope has been the Chief Minister of the Australian Capital Territory since November 2001
- The Hon Mike Rann has been the Premier of South Australia since March 2002
- The Hon Paul Lennon has been the Premier of Tasmania since March 2004
- The Hon Morris Iemma has been the Premier of New South Wales since August 2005
- The Hon Alan Carpenter has been the Premier of Western Australia since January 2006
- The Hon John Brumby has been the Premier of Victoria since July 2007
Sydney is the capital city of New South Wales (NSW). It is Australian’s largest city in terms of population with just under 7 million people living in NSW with just under 5 million living in the harbour city itself. Sydney is famous for its Sydney Opera House built in 1973 and the Sydney Harbour Bridge, which was formally opened on 19 March 1932.
The cost of the Sydney Harbour Bridge was more than £10m and was not paid off in full until 1988. The Sydney Opera House cost $102 million.
Each Australian state has its own state government and is independently run from the Federal government. Each state also has its own capital city as listed below.
- Adelaide is the capital city of South Australia (SA)
- Brisbane is the capital city of Queensland (QLD)
- Canberra is the capital city of the Australian Capital Territory (ACT)
- Darwin is the capital city of the Northern Territoty (NT)
- Hobart is the capital city of Tasmania (TAS)
- Melbourne is the capital city of Victoria (VIC)
- Perth is the capital city of Western Australia (WA)